Fillings (also known as inlays and/or onlays) for your cavities that are made from porcelain, not metal or plastic. Porcelain is the preferred material for composite fillings to use because it is strong and yet natural looking. Metal fillings are unsightly, and plastic isn't nearly as strong or durable.
The advantages of porcelain fillings over metal include the fact that they offer:
- A tighter seal between your tooth and the filling
- More control when your filling is placed
- More stability and less toxicity than mercury amalgam
- Resistance to fracturing
- Restoration of your teeth to their natural appearance
- Stronger teeth where you have fillings because porcelain doesn't expand with heat like metal does; such expansion can cause your teeth to fracture
When you acquire composite fillings from Beach View Dental you not only repair the cavity in your tooth, but your tooth is restored to its natural look and functionality. The results from using porcelain fillings are superior in many ways to the metal fillings of the past.
If you have further questions about porcelain fillings, please see our Frequently Asked Questions about Porcelain and Composite Fillings section.
If you would like to learn more about porcelain fillings please contact us today.